Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Off to a new place!

Tomorrow/Today as it is past midnight, I will fly to Chile! First I fly to Dallas, TX, then from there to Chile. I arrive around 9 30 am on the 17th. Since the pick up leaves at exactly 9 30 I will have to find my own way to the hotel, so let's hope that goes smoothly. I hate public crying. Speaking of, I would like to belatedly congradulate on not having many of those episodes in the DR (maybe once but it was among friends :D).

I am really excited to begin learning chilean spanish. It is very very different from normal spanish because slang "modismos" are used an inporportionate amount. At the orientation awhile back I was given a slim book containing hundreds of modismos, also in the estudiante extranjero manuel of one of the university's I will be attending, they included a list of words to know. So i have been trying to study them, but you know me. When there's no pressure I'm not very motivated. Anyways, it will be interesting.

My three main goals this semester are to:
1) speak spanish as much as possibleeee!
2) make an effort to become a real part of my host family's family.
3) make chilean friends and speak lots of spanish with them!

My other goals are to of course learn about the culture and hopefully do some travelling. But I think learning about the culture will be enwrapped in the first 3 goals. Well, I guess you will be hearing from me soon...

1 comment:

  1. yay kali!! sounds exciting! you are going to have so much fun! I wish I could come visit you :( love ya

    ReplyDelete