Monday, September 14, 2009

is it possible my spanish is improving!?!

Hey everyone! Just a quick post because I should really be reading all of the reading that I haven't done for the past few weeks...So on Friday I found the place I have been searching for in Santiago: outdoor chilling spot where you can just chill and talk. It is called H20 and basically is a huge square surrounded by buildings (i think in the day it has shopping) with all these tables with lights around them and places you can buy drinks and music is always present of course. So that was great and I was sitting around talking with my dominican friends in spanish and all of a sudden they are like oooh heey!! getting all excited and im like what what, and they were like: just then your spanish was so good, just like a dominican would say it! and it happened once more that night, it was so nice! So perhaps I am improving? Some dominican phrases/vocab of interest:

estoy jodiendo=i'm just kidding (literally it means I am just fucking with you but I dont want to hurt innocent ears hahha too late)

eso es una vaina bien= this is a good thing

pelu=hairy but very dominican way of saying it

After that night saturday I was off to la playa!! My friend Jorge drove, while Boli, Ben, Michelle and Luana sat (yes four in the back, it was not a comfie drive). My friend Boli's dad had a guy who owed him money and couldnt pay, as a result they inherited a huge four story mansion near the beach of sosua, however in pretty big disrepair. That is where we stayed, it was fun! But no furniture except beds bc they are trying to sell it. Went to the beach, swam my heart out, went to the discotecas right on the beach danced my heart out. Met some of Jorge's bffs that night who were very charming (not to mention cuuute). That's about it! Love everyone, miss you!

Our boys (minus the one on the left, that's Carlos their friend) Ben, Jorge y Boli.
The girls! Mike (michelle), Me and Luana.
While jumping off huge cliffs, and climbing up again, a few of us incurred injuries (not me!).
This is an example of one of the many "sanky pankies" you see especially at tourist beach places like this one. Dominican prostitutes hired by rich gross white ladies.


1 comment:

  1. I wish those pictures of you guys on the beach had more light on your faces, I can't really tell what anyone looks like (I know there are other pictures...). So, hmmm, cuuute dominicans eh? I must say, I'd like to know more... Are any of the dominicans you're getting to know crushing on you? I know I would be... :-). That's so exciting that your spanish is getting better! I meant to ask you this on the phone- is it your accent that they were complimenting you on or was it your phrasing? Both?
    Oh yeah, I was on the bus the other day, I think it was Saturday, and there was a woman talking in spanish, but she wasn't saying any 's's at the ends of words, so I kinda thought she was dominican. It made me think of you. Anyways, it is ridiculously late, and I'll talk with you tomorrow.
    love

    ReplyDelete