Thursday, August 20, 2009

hay mucha lluvia hoy

One of the perks of reading my blog is that you get to learn some words in spanish! The heading means there is a lot of rain today. Last night my host mom comes in to tell me I have a phone call and I was incredulous. Turns out, some people on my program had decided to go to a nearby bar called "el fogón" where a lot of university students go to (i live literally a 2 minute drive away from PUCMM) hang out. And one guy's host brother and his brother's friend came along. They were really nice and could speak really good english, so that was convenient but we switched between spanish and english the whole night.
The brother, Bolí (short for Bolívar) said he liked speaking in english because with the way dominican culture is everyone knows everyone so it is less easy for people to eavesdrop on him. I thought that was funny. I learned some new words in spanish including "chular" which means to make out. It was also karaoke wed which was pretty hilarious except everyone was actually really good. But this one guy would sing american rock songs like I want to live forever haha.
Also, just in case you were wondering, although drinking is very much a part of the culture, it is seen as ugly and shameful if you are visibly "borracho" so dont worry I will not be making a fool of myself! What else...oh I took the level exam today I feel like it was pretty easy but I dont know.
Tonight I am going to the first exhibition of my host sister's dad's art! Oh, and yeah I was caught in a HUGE downpour like I seriously looked like I had jumped in a pool it was loco.
Love everyone, miss everyone, and remember I am on East Coast time!!

1 comment:

  1. yo se. Ti amo. I am a follower now so am moving backwards in time!

    ReplyDelete