Sunday, March 14, 2010

amigos chilenos!!

Hey everybody, not to brag, but: I AM IN. I have been hanging out with chileans almost everyday. I feel so immersed (in a good way this time, not icky culture shocky). First, when you go out here, it is considered early if you return around 3, even 5 in the morning. People being the night somewhere between 10-12, perhaps go to an outside bar, or someones apartment. Then go out dancing around 2-3ish. From what I gather, most close around 5ish. Then usually you go to an after party somewhere. I guess thats the bigcity nightlife for you!! Also the metro (subway) opens around 7:30, so instead of taking a taxi, lots of peeps just wait for the metro to open. haha

So thursday was the strong aftershock that was a 7. something wtf! I was home alone it was a little scary, but NOTHING compared to the terremoto. What was scary was my mom and sister were at the coast where a tsunami alert was issued. They were okay, but a lot more scared then me. They said it was like armaggedon. Everyone running, screaming, crying. People with their pets in their arms, etc. They had to run to higher ground, imagine a whole city of people trying to go to the same place!

We had a meeting with our embajadores culturales (cultural ambassadors aka chilean students) on Friday. We got divded into groups, mine is Alejandra shes is awesome. There's about 6 ppl in our group, we went to a cute little cafe, and she told us about this benefit concert at San Joaquín (main campus of católica) later that night, and that we should tots meet up. Then I had DELICIOUS sushi yaaay! Ale had told us it started at 6 but would probs go past midnight. We should up around 10 30 (our sushi had taken a long time) there were tons of peeps but we were there for about 2 songs and then it was over!! Very fun bus ride though, all the kids from the concert. It is really fun being a foreigner sometimes. Everyone thinks it is hilarious if you say any swear word, so you can really liven up a crowd quite easily. Went with Ale to her apartment, which has an awesome view, then partied until 5 in the morning at a discotec. Met some new friends!

Next day spent all day at a great leisurely lunch en "el campo" aka 30 minutes outside the city, but technically it still is the city haha, but definiely more trees. With my fam, very fun. That night went to a choripanada at my friends host family's house. She has two host sisters our age. TONS of chileans. It was great. I have lots of people I can call now. yaaaay! My goals are becoming true!

1 comment:

  1. yay kali! im so happy to hear you are making chilean friends, I know you really wanted to! Sounds like an awesome fun time there! And I hope the aftershocks stop soon, thats so scary! lurv you!

    ReplyDelete